In the end everything is everything,
no matter which direction we reach all is the same and interlocked.
Atoms look and act like solar systems.
Time bends back around. Being in more than one place at the same time.
Glass and water both are flowing, one is just slower.
People are more alike then different all are connected.
Everything is useful we can develop positive from negative.
We can learn from anything.
What’s inside a closed box?
Materials have a history, tell a story of unmaking and making
… I’ve tried to stop, I have, but I can’t.
We don’t have to believe.
Love is, we can be a part or apart trying to walk away.
We will meet around the other side,
at the end of our paths beginning.
As a professional photographer, visual artist, and academic instructor Laura Hurcomb is a story teller that uses multiple platforms to explore identity, perception, ancestry, dreamscapes, intimacy, and the natural world. Born in Los Angeles, California, USA to Parents at odds of diverse backgrounds which still feeds into her work. She received her BFA in Studio Art, Fiber from the Kansas City Art Institute, an MA in Studio art, Photography from the University of Missouri, Kansas City. Currently, She works as an instructor in the Department of Art and Art History at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
You can also find her here:
Teaching/students work: tumblr
Work and Education information:
Laura G Hurcomb
Adjunct Professor at UMKC
Art and Art History / Photo Dept.
Kansas City, MO, 2005 to present
· Teaching Photo classes to under graduate, graduate students, majors and non-majors in traditional and digital methods
· Manage traditional Lab and Digital Lab
· Developed, Wrote and teach on line intro to photo class since spring of 2015
· Chaperoned several Art/Art History Dept. Spring break road trips
Graduate Teaching Assistant
UMKC Photo Dept.
Kansas City, MO, 2003-2004
· Managed photo Lab and chemical darkroom
· Assisted students
Overland Park, KS, 1999-2003
· Set up and Managed digital lab
· Created templates for studio work
· Photo retouching
· Trained digital art staff
· Assisted photographers
· Customer service /sales
Art Center of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO, 1998
· Created and taught cooperative creative projects to school aged children in summer school program.
Jason Pollen, Chair Fiber Dept. KCAI
Kansas City, MO Jan-May, 1998
· Assisted Artist with his studio managing studio, materials and deadlines
Fiber Studio Tech
Kansas City Art Institute
Kansas City, MO, 1997-1998
· Managed Fiber dept. studio, materials and students
Boys and Girls Club of America
Kansas City, MO, 1995-1996
· Instructed children 5-17 years in after school art program.
· Created / taught multi age level appropriate cooperative creative activities
· Managed art room and supplies
Elementary Art Teacher (volunteer)
Shawnee, KS, 1993-1995
· Created artistic curriculum and Instructed children 1st – 6th grades
M. A., Studio Art
U.M.K.C., Kansas City, Mo, 2001-2004
B.F.A., Kansas City Art Institute, Kansas City, MO, 1995-1998
General studies, Johnson County Community College
Overland Park, KS, 1993-1995
Other Relevant Information
I am a working freelance artist. I manage my own business and promotional considerations as well as produce photographic services and paintings.
Who’s Who in America
Who’s Who of American Women
Who’s who in Midwest 1999
CMT, LMT Massage therapy training Inst.
· Contract at Shawnee Mission Medical Center since 1999